ON SATURDAY, MAY 17th, we are holding a Film Distribution Workshop and Seminar to all NYC Indie Filmmakers spilling the secrets to secure a decent Distribution deal (and actually earn a great paycheck for your craft).
Information for the class is down below. For members of D-Word, I am offering a 50% discount.
ANY questions or help, PLEASE FEEL FREE to contact me at email@example.com
Class Title: Film Distribution Seminar & Workshop
Date/Time: May 17th, 2008, 9 AM – 5 PM
Location: Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), D- Building, Room D-207,
7th Avenue & 27th Street, New York, NY
General Fee: $350
D-Word Membership Fee: $175 (please e-mail me for coupon code)
STUDENT DISCOUNTS ALSO AVAILABLE
Register at: http://store.indiedocs.com/dclass.html
Class Description: Learn the trade secrets and nuts and bolts of film distribution in this unique seminar and workshop taught by distribution executives with combined marketing and title release experience from over 350 titles. Join President of Passion River Films Allen Chou and Expert Film Distribution Consultant Josh Levin as they discuss each step for getting a film to the right distributor and media outlet whether theatrical, TV, DVD, or Internet. Allen and Josh will also teach topics that include: "The top 10 mistakes to avoid when making a film distribution deal", "How to develop a profitable film distribution plan"; as well as "How to find your audience and make money with Self-distribution and Non-traditional distribution models". Join these experts as they share the secrets behind the real world of film distribution and marketing in this unique and valuable seminar. At the end of the lectures, they'll also workshop your titles. This is normally a 2-day workshop, but the lectures will be squeezed into a 1-day only event. Before you hire a producer's rep, or sign your first distribution deal, you must attend this class- or else you could lose thousands of dollars on a bad deal!
Some topics that will be covered in the class:
• 5 things you need to know BEFORE you shoot
• The secrets for a successful theatrical release
• What every producer needs to know in order to make a profit on their film
• How to find and make a deal with a distributor that actually pays
• Top 7 mistakes to avoid when making a film distribution deal
• How sexy distributors make you look good, but make you ZERO money
• Why the internet is the most important link in helping you make money
• 3 ways your audience will make you immediate money
• How Netflix changed everything with 7 million on-line subscribers
• The truth about retailers & why they can’t stock your movie title
• Walmart– Why big retailers can actually bankrupt you, instead of making you rich
• Why pay for a Producer’s Rep & Sales Agent– do it yourself
• How to get TV broadcast in the US and other countries
• Get your film to all the major Film Markets with or without a sales agent
• Why getting into Sundance Film Festival just doesn’t matter
• Get Film Festivals to pay YOU for screening your film
• Why traditional distribution models are dead and only work for about 2% of indie films
• Why non-traditional distribution models work and make you money
• Get real sales projections for your project
Info about the class once again is below.
Distribution Executive Bios:
Allen Chou is President of Sales and Acquisitions at Passion River Films, a NJ based company that distributes over 300 documentaries, arthouse films, and special interest titles for the US home video and international sales market since 1998. Many of his titles have landed retail shelf space in stores such as: Walmart, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster Video, Hollywood Video, Movie Gallery, Best Buy, and many more… In 2005, Allen established a distribution partnership with Netflix, resulting in the release of over 180 titles on their site; as well as other retail outlets. Internationally, he has attended Film and TV markets such as the American Film Market in Santa Monica, CA and Cannes Film Market in Cannes, France, where he marketed and licensed films and documentaries worldwide to broadcasters and foreign home video distributors. Recently he started the College Speaker and Public Performance Program; as well as the New Digital Sales and Electronic Delivery division. Allen Chou received his BA in Film from the University Of Maryland, and also attended NYU.
Josh Levin is a film marketing and distribution executive who has brought more than 30 feature films to the US marketplace, including top award winners from Cannes, Sundance, Venice, Berlin, Toronto and Tribeca. As Chief Marketing Officer for Film Movement, Josh learned how to get hard-to-place films in front of the eyes of filmgoers across the country “by any means necessary,” from theatrical premieres in New York City to library screenings in Butte, Montana — while also learning how to get filmmakers paid for their art. Working with films with tiny or non-existent marketing budgets is Josh’s forte. Since starting Gallant Films in 2007, Josh has also begun working in production financing and consulting. Josh got his MBA from Columbia Business School, and his BA from the University of Michigan.
To register or learn more about this distribution seminar and workshop, you could also: www.marketmymovie, or call 732-321-0711 ext 135.
Thanks again and Carpe Diem for All Indie Producers and lovers!!!!!!!!!