Internship: Intern for Promises Films and work directly with Academy nominated, Emmy Award winning documentary filmmaker.
Location: Berkeley, CA at the Zaentz Media Center
Duration: Through 2011
Salary: Unpaid. (our FCP system is available to this intern).
Hours: 10 hours week, as many hours as you wish, can be done from your home.
Application deadline: February 25th, 2011
How to apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Promises Films is an independent documentary production company located at the Saul Zaentz Media Center in Berkeley, CA. We are in the Outreach/Distribution/Publicity phase for our latest documentary film Our Summer in Tehran, which follows filmmaker (and former Globetrekker host) Justine Shapiro and her 6-year-old son to Tehran where they spend the summer with three very different Iranian families. The film will be broadcast on public television stations across the nation in April 2011. To learn more about the film and view clips, visit our website at www.oursummerintehran.com.
We are looking for a very organized individual who is has strong computer skills and is able to update our website using HTML and CSS. We want to find someone honest, who possesses common sense, integrity, and self-initiative. We yearn for that special person who is interested in being part of the final phase in making a film: distribution or who is fascinated by the themes this film explores: US-Iran relations, citizen diplomacy, interfaith relations, cross cultural communication, and alternative media. This is a wonderful job for a motivated college student or anyone interested in learning more about how an independent documentary film gets out into the world.
In this position, you will learn about how an independent documentary attracts publicity, outreach, domestic and international distribution and broadcast. You will be exposed to some fundraising and screening events. This internship offers you an opportunity to connect with other filmmakers at the Zaentz Media Center, build your resume, and learn the nuts and bolts of how to make an independent film. Past interns and employees have gone on to do their masters in journalism and filmmaking (USC and Stanford) and work at Pixar, Pilot Films and TV Production in London. This internship does not involve hands-on, field production.
Promises Films is a non-profit organization.
• Must have strong skills in editing HTML and CSS in order to make necessary updates to company websites
• Technical excellence with Apple computers, Microsoft Office, and Google docs
• A whiz with social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter
• Ability to communicate well over the telephone, email, and in person
• Well-organized with strong follow-through and attention to detail
• Ability to take direction and work independently, without the need for constant supervision
• Familiarity with Final Cut Pro a plus! (on-going editing for new web-clips)
Responsibilities will include
• Updating company websites and social media sites
• Mailing/shipping and tracking shipments of DVD screeners
• Outreach to the Iranian-American community, museums, libraries, schools, and universities to host screening events of Our Summer in Tehran
• Maintaining the office contact database on FileMaker pro.
• Coordinating receipts, invoices, and donations with our office bookkeeper
• Post content about Our Summer in Tehran on organizational websites, list-serves, and social networking sites
• Editing clips for the film’s website and YouTube (optional-depending on your interest and skill with editing)
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.